Where we are located
is in Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland and lies roughly mid-way between Cookstown and Dungannon
just off the A29.
original castle was built in 1671 but destroyed by fire in 1801. It was replaced
in 1802 by Colonel William Stewart who had a new, more imposing castle built.
The colonel was determined that his residence should rival
the finest in Ireland so no expense was spared. The elite of the nobility regarded
it a privilege to be entertained here and even royalty came to stay.
This is one of
the most important historic sites in Ireland. For 500 years, until 1595, the Kings
of of Ulster were crowned here.
group of listed houses is named after the Lindsay family who resided at the manor
in nearby Loughry Estate.
A frequent visitor to the estate
was Dean Jonathan Swift.